Did you ever come back from a long holiday weekend (or a vacation, or a business trip) and you sit at your desk and you think these questions to yourself: “what am I doing? what work did I leave off on last week? Where do I begin?
As you feel that surge of stress beginning to come upon you, let me offer you a few easy to follow suggestions:
- take a few minutes to evaluate all that you have going on –give yourself time to get a lay of the land before you start tackling individual issues
- Look at all your areas of responsibility (look at your calendar, catch up on e-mails (from the day before you left for your time off, as well as today’s) and phone messages, look for any reminder notes you might have left for yourself
- set priorities based on balancing both urgency and big picture importance
- give yourself some goals and expectations on what you are looking to get accomplished and when
- start executing your plan
I hope this helps.